The Wild Within Day Camp for Teens
When: 2020 registration currently closed. To be notified when next years registration opens fill out the short form below.
Ages: 13 – 17 (12 year olds by permission)
Where: Putney, VT
Cost: 2020 pricing: $305 – 400 (sliding scale). The true cost per camper is $350. Scholarships available, see registration form for more information.
REGISTER BELOW TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT
This week-long day camp for teens will intermix important lessons about ethical wildlife stewardship with light-hearted wilderness games and adventures that help teens learn relationship-building skills, independence, and an ethic of stewardship.
If you join us, you may experience:
- Learning natural camouflage so that you can move “invisibly” day and night
- Moving and getting into the mind of a wild animal
- Trailing animals and humans
- Understanding the language of birds
- Playing Jedi awareness games
- How to work as a team moving through the woods
Students are guided by longtime VWS lead instructor and program director Bob Etzweiler, with over 17 years of experience sharing the natural world with children and guiding groups in the outdoors, along with other experienced Vermont Wilderness School staff. We maintain ratio of at least one instructor per six children.
Bob started hunting at age 12. He is not only one of the most passionate hunters you will ever meet, but also one of the most skillful and reverent. Since 2007 Bob has been leading programs for Vermont Wilderness School, and he’s now beloved by hundreds of the kids and adults who’ve gotten to share his infectious enthusiasm, extensive knowledge, and neverending stream of good stories and bad jokes. Bob also runs The Hunter’s Heart, our 8-month hunting apprenticeship for adults.
- 2020 registration is closed. To be notified when next years’ registration opens please fill out the short form below.
- When it reopens, fill out the registration form.
- Check your email inbox for the automated confirmation email with the subject “[Teen’s Name]’s Wild Within Camp Registration has been received.”
- Due to uncertainty resulting from the spread of the novel coronavirus you do not need to pay a deposit for this program. All you have to reserve a spot is complete the registration below! Note that families who have paid in full will receive priority if a program fills completely.
- To run a safe camp, and to comply with new Covid-19-related regulations, VWS will be running summer camps at a financial loss of about $1000/week. Smaller group size reduces our income, and new purchasing new equipment such as masks, thermometers, etc. increases our expenses. We are not raising our prices to cover this gap. However we do ask that you please consider this situation as you decide where on the sliding scale you’d like to pay. Thank you!
- Any remaining balance is due July 10.If VWS chooses to cancel a program you may be eligible for program credit or a refund (see this page for more details).
Looking for a scholarship? Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is June 25th.
Questions about camp? Please contact us at email@example.com or call 802-257-8570.