The Wild Within: Scout and Hunting Camp for Teens
When: July 29 – August 2 (Monday – Friday), 9am – 3pm
Ages: 13 – 18 (motivated 12 year olds considered)
Where: Putney, VT
Cost: $275 – 400 (sliding scale). The true cost per camper is $350.
REGISTER BELOW TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT
Negative stereotypes of hunters and hunting abound; the heartless hunter killing without compassion, the ignorant hunter who kills without skill or awareness of the community of life, just to name a few. However, approaching the wild with the eyes of a hunter can be another method of falling in love with the natural world. If we learn the sacredness of taking a life, it can open our eyes to the gravity of how meat shows up on our table and the necessity of being in right relationships with nature.
This week-long day camp for teens (why are we offering a hunting camp?) will intermix serious lessons about hunting and ethical wildlife stewardship with light-hearted wilderness games and adventures that help teens learn relationship-building skills, independence, and an ethic of stewardship.
If you join us, you may experience:
- Learning natural camouflage so that you can move “invisibly” day and night
- Moving and getting into the mind of a wild animal
- Trailing animals and humans
- Understanding the language of birds
- Playing Jedi awareness games
- How to work as a team moving through the woods
Students are guided by longtime VWS lead instructor and program director Bob Etzweiler, with over 17 years of experience sharing the natural world with children and guiding groups in the outdoors, along with other experienced Vermont Wilderness School staff. We maintain ratio of at least one instructor per six children.
Bob started hunting at age 12. He is not only one of the most passionate hunters you will ever meet, but also one of the most skillful and reverent. Since 2007 Bob has been leading programs for Vermont Wilderness School, and he’s now beloved by hundreds of the kids and adults who’ve gotten to share his infectious enthusiasm, extensive knowledge, and neverending stream of good stories and bad jokes. Bob also runs The Hunter’s Heart, our 8-month hunting apprenticeship for adults.
- Complete the registration form below.
- Pay in full, or pay just the $65 deposit.
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
- Click the tab at the bottom of this page: “Complete the VWS Medical Form.”
- Your spot is secure once we have received your registration and payment.
- Any remaining balance is due 3 weeks before your camp week begins.
Looking for a scholarship?Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is May 1st.
Questions about camp? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-257-8570.