The Wild Within Day Camp for Teens
When: 9am – 3pm, July 27 – 31 (Mon-Fri), 2020
Ages: 13 – 17 (12 year olds by permission)
Where: Putney, VT
Cost: $305 – 400 (sliding scale). The true cost per camper is $350. Scholarships available, see registration form for more information.
REGISTER BELOW TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT
Negative stereotypes of hunters and hunting abound; the heartless hunter killing without compassion, the ignorant hunter who kills without skill or awareness of the community of life, just to name a few. However, approaching the wild with the eyes of a hunter can be another method of falling in love with the natural world. If we learn the sacredness of taking a life, it can open our eyes to the gravity of how meat shows up on our table and the necessity of being in right relationships with nature.
This week-long day camp for teens (why are we offering a hunting camp?) will intermix serious lessons about hunting and ethical wildlife stewardship with light-hearted wilderness games and adventures that help teens learn relationship-building skills, independence, and an ethic of stewardship.
If you join us, you may experience:
- Learning natural camouflage so that you can move “invisibly” day and night
- Moving and getting into the mind of a wild animal
- Trailing animals and humans
- Understanding the language of birds
- Playing Jedi awareness games
- How to work as a team moving through the woods
Students are guided by longtime VWS lead instructor and program director Bob Etzweiler, with over 17 years of experience sharing the natural world with children and guiding groups in the outdoors, along with other experienced Vermont Wilderness School staff. We maintain ratio of at least one instructor per six children.
Bob started hunting at age 12. He is not only one of the most passionate hunters you will ever meet, but also one of the most skillful and reverent. Since 2007 Bob has been leading programs for Vermont Wilderness School, and he’s now beloved by hundreds of the kids and adults who’ve gotten to share his infectious enthusiasm, extensive knowledge, and neverending stream of good stories and bad jokes. Bob also runs The Hunter’s Heart, our 8-month hunting apprenticeship for adults.
- Fill out the registration form below and be sure to click the SUBMIT button.
- Check your email inbox for the automated confirmation email with the subject “[Teen’s Name]’s Wild Within Camp Registration has been received.”
- Due to uncertainty resulting from the spread of the novel coronavirus you do not need to pay a deposit for this program. All you have to reserve a spot is complete the registration below! Note that families who have paid in full will receive priority if a program fills completely.
- To run a safe camp, and to comply with new Covid-19-related regulations, VWS will be running summer camps at a financial loss of about $1000/week. Smaller group size reduces our income, and new purchasing new equipment such as masks, thermometers, etc. increases our expenses. We are not raising our prices to cover this gap. However we do ask that you please consider this situation as you decide where on the sliding scale you’d like to pay. Thank you!
- Any remaining balance is due July 10.If VWS chooses to cancel a program you may be eligible for program credit or a refund (see this page for more details).
Looking for a scholarship? Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is June 25th.
Questions about camp? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-257-8570.