Hunting Apprenticeship Application
2023 Dates (Sat/Sun):
- March 4-5
- April 15-16
- June 3-4
- August 12-13
- October 14-15
- December 9-10
- Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: Sunrise – early afternoon
These hours are subject to minor changes, in consultation with all participants.
- Participants provide their own food and accommodations. Contact us and we may be able to help you find lower-cost options.
- The apprenticeship includes one actual hunt — a squirrel hunt — which is optional. To participate in the hunt, you must have completed a VT Hunter Education Course and possess a current Vermont Hunting license. (See this website for course dates.)
- Owning a hunting weapon is not required to participate in the apprenticeship. If you do plan to obtain a hunting weapon and a hunting license, Bob is available to guide you through that process after the apprenticeship begins.
- This is not a “primitive skills” hunting apprenticeship. However, the skills taught will support all types of hunting.
- There will be optional homework, designed to take the lessons of the course further.
- The Hunter’s Heart is far more equipment-intensive than any other VWS program. For this reason, we charge a $195 equipment fee in addition to whatever amount you choose on the sliding scale. Our intent is to introduce apprentices to a wide variety of hunting equipment, including firearms, bows, ammunition, blinds, tree stands, calls, butchering equipment, and more. The equipment fee covers VWS’s rental and/or provision of equipment throughout the apprenticeship.
- Registration for this program is closed for this year. Complete the short form below to be notified when it re-opens next time.
- When registration for this program re-opens, there will be an application form below. Complete that and be sure to click submit. Check your email for the automated response with the subject “[Your name]’s Hunter’s Heart Application has been received” that serves to confirm that we have received your application. We will respond to your application within 2 weeks.
- If accepted before March 1, a $150 deposit will be due within 7 days of your acceptance, to reserve your slot. The remaining balance is due March 1. After March 1, anyone applying must pay immediately upon acceptance.
- You can pay by either:
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
- To apply for financial aid complete the relevant section of the registration form and we’ll respond as soon as possible. Most offers are under 30% off of the low end of the sliding scale, but we consider larger requests.
- You can pay by either:
- Upon acceptance to the program, please complete the “VWS Medical Form” via the tab at the bottom of this page.
Please review our scholarship and cancelation policy page for more details. Questions? Email email@example.com or call 802-257-8570