Hunting Apprenticeship Application
2023 Dates (Sat/Sun):
- March 4-5
- April 15-16
- June 3-4
- August 12-13
- October 14-15
- December 9-10
- Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: Sunrise – early afternoon
These hours are subject to minor changes, in consultation with all participants.
- Participants provide their own food and accommodations. Contact us and we may be able to help you find lower-cost options.
- The apprenticeship includes one actual hunt — a squirrel hunt — which is optional. To participate in the hunt, you must have completed a VT Hunter Education Course and possess a current Vermont Hunting license. (See this website for course dates.)
- Owning a hunting weapon is not required to participate in the apprenticeship. If you do plan to obtain a hunting weapon and a hunting license, Bob is available to guide you through that process after the apprenticeship begins.
- This is not a “primitive skills” hunting apprenticeship. However, the skills taught will support all types of hunting.
- There will be optional homework, designed to take the lessons of the course further.
- The Hunter’s Heart is far more equipment-intensive than any other VWS program. For this reason, we charge a $195 equipment fee in addition to whatever amount you choose on the sliding scale. Our intent is to introduce apprentices to a wide variety of hunting equipment, including firearms, bows, ammunition, blinds, tree stands, calls, butchering equipment, and more. The equipment fee covers VWS’s rental and/or provision of equipment throughout the apprenticeship.
- Registration for this program is closed for this year. Complete the short form below to be notified when it re-opens next time.
- When registration for this program re-opens, there will be an application form below. Complete that and be sure to click submit. Check your email for the automated response with the subject “[Your name]’s Hunter’s Heart Application has been received” that serves to confirm that we have received your application. We will respond to your application within 2 weeks.
- If accepted before March 1, a $150 deposit will be due within 7 days of your acceptance, to reserve your slot. The remaining balance is due March 1. After March 1, anyone applying must pay immediately upon acceptance.
- You can pay by either:
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
- To apply for financial aid complete the relevant section of the registration form and we’ll respond as soon as possible. Most offers are under 30% off of the low end of the sliding scale, but we consider larger requests.
- You can pay by either:
- Upon acceptance to the program, please complete the “VWS Medical Form” via the tab at the bottom of this page.