Hunting Apprenticeship Application
- Weekend 1 (Sept 22, 23): Intro/Hunting games/Awareness/Intuition
- Weekend 2 (Oct 20, 21): Deer Hunting / Weapon Use
- Weekend 3 (Dec 15, 16): Scouting / Squirrel Hunt
- Weekend 4 (Feb 9, 10): Tracking/Trailing
- Make up weekend in case of unanticipated cancelation: March 30th & 31st
- Weekend 5 (Apr 20, 21): Turkey Hunting
- Weekend 6 (June 8, 9): Butchering & Food Preservation / Cooking / Wrapping the Bundle
- Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: Sunrise – early afternoon
These hours are subject to minor changes, in consultation with all participants.
- The apprenticeship includes one actual hunt — a squirrel hunt in December— which is optional. To participate in the hunt, you must have completed a VT Hunter Education Course and possess a current Vermont Hunting license. (See this website for course dates.)
- Owning a hunting weapon is not required to participate in the apprenticeship. If you do plan to obtain a hunting weapon and a hunting license before the December squirrel hunt, Bob is available to guide you through that process after the apprenticeship begins.
- This is not a “primitive skills” hunting apprenticeship. However, the skills taught will support all types of hunting.
- There will be optional homework, designed to take the teachings of the course further.
TO APPLY: Complete the registration form below.
Deadline to apply is August 20. We will respond within 2 weeks of receiving your application.
A $150 deposit will be due within 7 days of your acceptance to the program, to reserve your slot. The remaining balance is due Sept 1. You can pay by either:
- Making a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box at the right –>
- Sending a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
Cost: Sliding Scale: $1,175 – $1,575. Actual per-person cost is $1300. Participants provide their own food and accommodations. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is August 1st. Please review our scholarship and cancelation policy page for more details.
Upon acceptance to the program, please complete the “VWS Medical Form” via the tab at the bottom of this page.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-257-8570