Otter Day Camp
Ages: 7 – 12 (other ages by permission)
Where: Fort Dummer State Park, Brattleboro, VT
Otter Day Camp is one of Vermont Wilderness School’s longest-running programs, and is a mainstay of the early summer in Brattleboro. Come adventure at Ft. Dummer State Park to:
- Make fire without matches
- Solve natural mysteries
- Cook over the campfire
- Learn to become invisible & move silently
- Build shelters from natural materials
- Make crafts from natural materials
- Pick berries
- Explore creeks
- Play nature awareness games
- Make new friends!
About the location
Ft. Dummer State Park offers 200+ acres of diverse habitat, including wetland, streams, mixed hardwood forest, field, rock quarry, and miles of hiking trails. Regular animal residents on the land include white-tail deer, woodland jumping mice, green frogs, wood frogs, American toads, black racer snakes, red efts, broad-winged hawks, barred owls, wood thrushes, ruffed grouse, wild turkey, eastern cottontail rabbits and much more (including the occasional black bear or bobcat passing through!) It is a magical place for children and pre-teens to deepen their relationship with nature and become at home in the world. Camp Director Bob Etzweiler, instructor Jasmyn Atsalis-Gogel, and other familiar faces will be returning to lead camp. All VWS instructors are highly skilled and experienced working with youth. We maintain ratio of at least one instructor per six children.
1. Complete the Registration form below (or Interest form if registration is not yet open). Be sure to click SUBMIT at the end. Check your email inbox for the automated confirmation email with the subject “[Child Name]’s Foxwalk Day Camp Registration has been received.” Save your confirmation email as proof-of-registration.
2. When you register, pay a $75 per child per week deposit to secure your spot(s). You may also pay in full when you register. Any remaining balance is due June 1st (or upon registration, for those registering after June 1st). If you have requested a scholarship or opted in to the BIPOC Reparations Fund, payment instructions are in the registration form below.
Note: If you withdraw from any weeks of camp, the deposit for the week you withdraw from will be retained (and potentially more of your payment for that week – view our full cancellation and refund policy here).
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box on the righthand side of this page, OR;
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
3. Complete the VWS Medical Form using the tab at the bottom of this page.
Looking for a scholarship? Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellation policies for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is May 1st.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.