Birding by Ear
- May 4 (Saturday), 7:30 am – 9:30 am. Location: Williamsburg, MA. Specific location will be shared one week before program starts.
- May 18 (Saturday), 7:30 am – 9:30 am. Location: Putney, VT. Specific location will be shared one week before program starts.
Ages: Adults 18+, motivated youth considered.
Cost: $15 – 25 (sliding scale). Scholarship available. No experience necessary.
Register by completing the form below.
A Doorway into the Song of the Forest
Birds are the news network of the natural environment giving the curious human a “bird’s ear” window into the thrilling comedy, tragedy, and romance being played out on a daily basis on the branches. In this workshop we will be attuning our sense of hearing to the songs and calls of birds and what they are communicating to each other. Combining observation of birds’ vocalizations, behavior and movement patterns, we can deepen our understanding of the language of birds and what they have to teach us about the natural world. Not only will you learn to identify several different species by their songs and calls, but you will gain deeper insight into the natural world through bird behavior and language.
Being able to identify bird song by ear can be a tremendous benefit for anyone interested in birds AND anyone who wants to connect more deeply with the community of life around us. We hope you’ll join!
Kathy Dean has been teaching in the outdoor adventure and nature connection fields for more than 20 years. Together with Jean Bergstrom she co-founded Her Wild Roots, which offers nature education programs for women. She has a passion for birds and has completed White Pine’s Advanced Bird Language Program and worked in wild bird rehabilitation with the Vermont Institute of Natural Science.
- Maximum 10 participants
- Register by completing the form below and clicking “SUBMIT”
- Make a payment either:
- Online via credit card or Paypal by filling out the box to the right
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303
See our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information.