Birding by Ear
When & where:
- 8am-11am, Saturday May 27 (please also reserve the rain Sun May 28), near Putney, VT.
Ages: Adults. No experience necessary.
2023 Cost: $25 – 35 (sliding scale).
A Doorway into the Song of the Forest
Birds are the news network of the natural environment giving the curious human a “bird’s ear” window into the thrilling comedy, tragedy, and romance being played out on a daily basis on the branches. In this workshop we will be attuning our sense of hearing to the songs and calls of birds and what they are communicating to each other. Combining observation of birds’ vocalizations, behavior and movement patterns, we can deepen our understanding of the language of birds and what they have to teach us about the natural world. Not only will you learn to identify several different species by their songs and calls, but you will gain deeper insight into the natural world through bird behavior and language.
Being able to identify bird song by ear can be a tremendous benefit for anyone interested in birds AND anyone who wants to connect more deeply with the community of life around us. We hope you’ll join!
Kathy Dean has worked in the field of outdoor education since 1983 as a wilderness guide, rock climbing instructor and teacher of animal tracking, bird language and nature awareness. In addition to working with several nature education centers, she offers wildlife tracking, bird language and custom-tailored nature programs through Trotting Fox Programs. Kathy is the author of Abbreviated Field Guide to Mammal Behavior: New England Region. She lives in a small hill town in western Massachusetts and is blissfully surrounded by woodlands, wetlands and wildlife. You can learn more about her here.
- Complete the short form below. Check your email to make sure you received the registration confirmation message with the subject “[Your Name]’s Birding By Ear registration has been received”.
- Payment is due upon registration. Your spot is secure once we receive it.
- Make a secure online payment via the PayPal box in the righthand sidebar of this page OR;
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: Vermont Wilderness School, P.O. Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.