Birding by Ear
- May 3 (Sunday), 7:30 am – 10:30 am, Putney VT
- May 31 (Sunday), 7:30 am – 10:30 am, Ashfield, MA
- Detailed address information will be shared no later than 1 week before the workshop.
Ages: Adults 18+, motivated youth considered. No experience necessary.
Cost: $20 – 30 (sliding scale).
Register by completing the form below.
A Doorway into the Song of the Forest
Birds are the news network of the natural environment giving the curious human a “bird’s ear” window into the thrilling comedy, tragedy, and romance being played out on a daily basis on the branches. In this workshop we will be attuning our sense of hearing to the songs and calls of birds and what they are communicating to each other. Combining observation of birds’ vocalizations, behavior and movement patterns, we can deepen our understanding of the language of birds and what they have to teach us about the natural world. Not only will you learn to identify several different species by their songs and calls, but you will gain deeper insight into the natural world through bird behavior and language.
Being able to identify bird song by ear can be a tremendous benefit for anyone interested in birds AND anyone who wants to connect more deeply with the community of life around us. We hope you’ll join!
Kathy Dean has been teaching in the outdoor adventure and nature connection fields for more than 20 years. Together with Jean Bergstrom she co-founded Her Wild Roots, which offers nature education programs for women. She has a passion for birds and has completed White Pine’s Advanced Bird Language Program and worked in wild bird rehabilitation with the Vermont Institute of Natural Science.
- Fill out the registration form below (be sure to click the SUBMIT button).
- Check your email to make sure you received the registration confirmation message with the subject “[Your Name]’s Birding By Ear registration has been received”
- Send your payment
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
Looking for a scholarship? Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is April 15.