Policies & Scholarship Information – Art of Mentoring
We believe that the Vermont Wilderness School’s programs should be available to everyone who wants to attend, regardless of individual circumstances. We raise money from the community so that we can provide tuition reductions for all VWS programs. Most scholarships provided for Art of Mentoring are discounts of 20-30% (off the low end of the sliding scale), but we consider all requests. We ask you to provide a short written description of your scholarship request. We do not ask you to provide evidence of income level or other personal financial information. Please ask for only what you need.
To request a scholarship:
- Complete the AoM registration form. The form asks you to indicate the amount of scholarship money you are requesting.
- You must provide a $150 refundable deposit at the time of your registration. If you are unable to submit a deposit or complete an online registration form, please give us a call or email.
- The deadline for scholarship requests is June 1.
- We will inform you by June 10 how much financial aid, if any, we can offer you. You then have one week after that to decide whether or not you plan to attend. If you choose not to, we will refund your deposit. If you choose to accept the scholarship offered, full payment of your portion of the tuition will then be due Aug 1.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel your registration for the Art of Mentoring:
- Cancellations 4 weeks (28 days) or more prior to the program start date will receive a full refund, minus the deposit.
- Cancellations between 4 weeks (27 days) and 1 week (7 days) prior to the program start date, will be refunded 50% of the program fee.
- Cancellations less than a week (6 days) prior to the program start date will not be refunded.
We do not guarantee a refund or discount if you choose to participate in only a portion of the AoM program. This includes if you are dissatisfied with the program and choose not to complete it. However, we welcome your feedback and a conversation about whether a full or partial refund is appropriate.
The purpose of these refund and cancellation policies is to keep the Vermont Wilderness School fiscally sound. The number of staff we hire, and the equipment and venues we rent, are based on the number of registered participants. If you cancel, especially in the week before a program, we have no way to recoup these costs. We understand that sickness and other unforeseen circumstances cause people change their plans. In these situations, please contact us as soon as possible, and we can discuss the available options. Sometimes there is a waitlist for AoM, and someone can pay to fill your slot. Sometimes you can find a person willing to attend in the spot you paid for. We always try to work it out!
If you have questions about our policies, please contact us.