Job Opening – Bookkeeper
Job Opening – Bookkeeper – Part-Time
6-8 hours/week. $17-22/hr. Interviews begin Apr 1. Position begins when filled.
Vermont Wilderness School is seeking a new bookkeeper.
We are a non-profit organization founded in 1999. We work with people of all ages, especially children, to build deep personal connection with nature. In our programs we use a long-term mentoring approach based on routines of nature awareness, intergenerational mentoring, and gratitude.
Vermont Wilderness School is in a period of growth and change. We are moving toward our vision of being an organization that is accessible, inclusive, and diverse. We welcome applications from dedicated individuals interested in learning, growing, and contributing along with us.
This is a part-time, year-round position. The Bookkeeper works in our Brattleboro, VT office along with four other part-time staff members. Strong candidates will have experience with nonprofit or small business accounting. We may be able to provide additional training if a strong candidate is missing some of the required technical skills.
- Weekly: Process income (cash, checks, & PayPal), prepare deposits, process check requests & print checks, create invoices in Quickbooks for program registrations, and prepare accounts receivable reports. Communicate with customers to collect payments and set up payment plans. Draft donor acknowledgement letters.
- Every Two Weeks: Run payroll (15 employees) through Gusto.com. Import payroll into Quickbooks.
- Monthly: Join four other core staff members for 90 min staff meeting (usually Wednesday mornings).
- Every Two Months: Work with Executive Director to create financial reports for board meeting.
- Semiannually: Calculate fees (administrative and insurance) for our fiscal sponsorship program and bill.
- Annually: Attend 8 hr board/staff annual retreat in early March. Support Executive Director on preparation of annual budget. Prepare financials for the accountant who prepares our 990 form. Prepare 1099s for our 20+ contractors. Update paper filing system.
- Ongoing, as needed: Processing of paper files. Communications with insurance providers and other vendors. Entering customer & donor information into database. Miscellaneous other duties that may arise.
Additional information about Vermont Wilderness School is available at www.vermontwildernessschool.org.
- Proficiency in both Quickbooks (Desktop) for Mac and Google Sheets is essential.
- Experience with nonprofit or small business accounting principles and business transactions. (Experience with Gusto, Paypal, & Square a plus.)
- Highly organized, with a strong attention to detail. Quick, accurate worker.
- Comfort with Apple/Mac platform, and the ability to upgrade software systems as needed.
- Internal resilience and self-sufficiency. Ability to improvise and adapt to the changing circumstances of a small, community-based nonprofit.
- Excellent and mature interpersonal communication skills.
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity. We like to laugh and have fun at work!
- If you also have a desire to learn about and contribute to nature connection, youth mentoring, and community building initiatives, that is a bonus.
- A consistent weekday schedule of two partial days is preferred, with occasional necessary adjustments.
- Our bookkeeping software is not online, so you will need to be able to work in our Brattleboro, VT office.
- The position is currently 6-8 hours per week, with some seasonal variability. It is possible that in coming years the position could expand to include the additional duties of an Office Manager or Finances Manager.
- We are exploring a technology upgrade (potentially including a shift to Quickbooks Online matched with cloud-based database and customer relations software) in the coming year which will affect the scope and the job description of the bookkeeper position.
- We have a well-behaved, friendly dog who frequents the office.
- We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons.
- This is an independent contractor job and does not include any health or retirement benefits. The bookkeeper is entitled to:
- 30% discount on any VWS program (with available spaces) and VWS merchandise.
- 30 – 100% of the cost of relevant professional development opportunities, on a case-by-case basis.
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume, two references, and a concise letter describing your relevant experience and qualifications and your reasons for applying for this position.