Position Opening – Summer Administrative Intern
5-10 hours/week, with two immersion weeks at the end of August.
Unpaid, with work-trade options. Applications due May 20th, interviews start May 25th. Position begins when filled and ends in early September. Exact end date to be negotiated during the interview process.
Vermont Wilderness School is seeking a summer administrative intern to work in our Brattleboro VT office (note: this position cannot be done remotely). Are you interested in how a community-based nature-connection organization operates behind the scenes? Are you comfortable with administrative tasks and standard office technology systems? Perhaps you currently work as an mentor/educator in the field and are interested in founding your own organization or moving into an leadership role? If yes we think you’ll find a lot of value in this position!
We are a non-profit organization founded in 1999. Our mission is to cultivate long-term mentoring relationships rooted in community, nature connection, and earth living skills. We are committed to practicing routines of nature awareness, mentoring, and gratitude. Our organization is in a period of growth. We welcome applications from dedicated and skilled individuals interested in learning, growing, and contributing along with us!
A successful candidate will have experience with entry-level administrative, technical, and customer service tasks. A strong attention to detail, strong computer and digital communications skills, and a passion for our mission are essential. Strong candidates will have an affinity for improving and maintaining healthy administrative, financial, operational, and technological systems here in the office, in support of our instructors and students who are out learning and growing in the wilds of southern Vermont and western Massachusetts.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ+, disabled, and other historically under-represented groups are specifically encouraged to apply.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the supervision of the VWS Administrator the summer administrative intern will:
- Support summer program administrative tasks such as; reviewing participant registration materials, working closely with program spreadsheets to make sure that all program details are well in order, and data entry
- Support summer program logistical tasks such as; preparing and inventorying program supplies, maintaining VWS merchandise and preparing it for display at programs.
- Support customer relationship management tasks such as; communicating with participants regarding their enrollment status, answering basic questions about programs, etc.
- Assist in maintaining office operations, overall order, cleanliness, and beauty in our workspace.
- Optional: supporting VWS outreach efforts such as; updating the VWS website, maintaining a vibrant social media presence, contributing to the monthly newsletter design process.
- Affinity for improving and maintaining healthy administrative, financial, operational, and technological systems.
- Highly organized, with a strong attention to detail. Quick, accurate worker.
- Strong computer skills, especially with Google Sheets (Excel), Google Docs (Word), and Gmail (or similar email client).
- Comfortable with Apple/Mac software and hardware.
- Optional: familiarity with web design, WordPress, and Mailchimp a strong plus.
- A passion for our mission
- Strong desire to learn about and contribute to nature connection, youth mentoring, and community-building initiatives.
- Familiarity with 8 Shields / Art of Mentoring tools desirable.
- General familiarity with the day-to-day administration of a small business or nonprofit:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. (Customer service experience a plus.)
- Excellent writing and speaking skills. Warm phone presence and email voice.
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity!
- A consistent weekday schedule of one or two 2.5-5 hour days per week is preferred, with occasional necessary adjustments. Scheduling of these work hours is negotiable but the work cannot be done remotely.
- Must be available to work the following dates:
- Week of August 12, 2019 (15-20 hrs)
- Week of August 19, 2019 (15-20 hrs)
- We have a well-behaved, friendly dog who frequents the office.
- Potential access to low-cost housing, depending on intern schedule and other factors to be discussed during the application process.
- Free admission to participate in the Art of Mentoring workshop Aug 26 – Aug 31, 2019.
- Potential admission to the Nature Connection Leadership Conference in January 2020.
- 30% discount on any VWS program (with available spaces) and VWS merchandise. This discount extends to immediate family of all staff members.
- Coaching and mentoring on how to administer a nature-connected organization.
Please reply to email@example.com with a resume, two references, and a brief letter describing:
- Your administrative experience and qualifications.
- Your relationship to nature-based education, if any.
- Your reasons for applying for this position.
We look forward to reviewing your application – thank you!