Job Opening – Business Manager
25 hours/week. Salary: $29,000 – $31,000. Interviews begin Monday, February 6, and the position begins when filled.
VWS is growing to meet the increasing community demand for accessible, inclusive nature connection programs and mentoring training. We welcome applications from dedicated individuals interested in learning, growing, and contributing along with us.
The Business Manager manages the organization’s financial systems to ensure fiscal health and coordinates human resources systems to ensure VWS remains a great place to work.
Working closely with the Executive Director and the administrative team, the Business Manager is a leadership position, with the potential for growth in hours and/or management responsibilities.
The Business Manager has excellent attention to detail, strong communication and customer service skills, and expertise in organizational systems. 2+ years experience with nonprofit or small business finance, human resources, and operations is required.
The Business Manager works in our Brattleboro, VT office. Partial remote work options are available.
VWS strives to create a culture that is supportive, effective, and life-affirming. Ideal candidates for this role will be energized by a work environment that prioritizes:
- Proactive Leadership
- Service & Relationships
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Financial Systems Management (17 hrs/week)
Coordinate and manage the organization’s financial systems and internal controls to ensure fiscal health.
- Supervise the financial aspects of VWS programs, including updating and monitoring program budgets, program prices, and field staff wages.
- Act as registrar, managing the enrollment process for each registered participant.
- Perform organizational bookkeeping.
- Support the fundraising work of the Executive Director and Board of Directors by tracking contributed income and communicating with donors.
- Lead annual organizational budgeting process, in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Act as liaison with our fiscal sponsee (Sow Well Tots).
- Manage organizational purchasing.
Human Resources Management (3 hr/wk)
Manage the organization’s human resources systems to ensure VWS remains a great place to work.
- Primary human resources administrator for hiring, compensation, payroll & benefits, insurance, & record-keeping.
Office Operations (1 hr/wk)
Be a member of the team which collaboratively runs the VWS office and ensures the smooth operating of office and technological systems that support our work together.
Foundational Role & Meetings (4 hrs/wk)
Participation in holding the overall strategic direction and values of VWS’s work. Includes staff meetings, retreats, and trainings, meetings with supervisor, annual review, strategy sessions, and occasional visits to youth and adult programs.
- Experience and understanding of nonprofit or small business transactions, bookkeeping, budgeting, and human resource administration.
- Highly organized, with a strong accuracy and attention to detail.
- Customer service skills and the ability to manage numerous communication threads with registered participants.
- Comfortable independently prioritizing, planning workflow, and managing simultaneous projects.
- Proficiency in bookkeeping software (Quickbooks Online) and spreadsheets (Google Sheets) is essential.
- Internal resilience and self-sufficiency. Ability to improvise and adapt to the changing circumstances of a small, community-based nonprofit.
- Excellent and mature interpersonal communication skills.
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity. We like to laugh and have fun at work!
- A desire to learn about and contribute to nature connection, youth mentoring, and community building initiatives.
- We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons.
This is a salaried employee position for 25 hours per week, year round.
- Salary: $29,000 – $31,000, depending on experience.
- 50 hours paid vacation, 50 hours paid holidays, & 32 hours sick time
- Up to $2000 stipend for use of your personal communications devices and work spaces for work tasks.
- 100% discount on any VWS program (with available spaces)
- 30% discount for immediate family members on any VWS program (some exceptions apply).
- Partial to full cost of relevant professional development opportunities, on a case-by-case basis.
Please reply to email@example.com with a resume, two references, and a concise letter describing your experience, qualifications, and reasons for applying for this position.
Interviews begin Monday, February 6, and the position begins when filled.
For a more detailed description of this position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.