Job Opening – Business Manager
20 hours/week. Salary: $23,000 – $25,000. Interviews begin Monday, May 9, and position begins when filled.
VWS is growing to meet the increasing community demand for accessible, inclusive nature connection programs and mentoring training. We welcome applications from dedicated individuals interested in learning, growing, and contributing along with us.
The Business Manager manages the organization’s financial systems to ensure fiscal health and coordinates human resources systems to ensure VWS remains a great place to work.
Working closely with the Executive Director and the administrative team, the Business Manager is a leadership position, with the potential for growth in hours and/or management responsibilities.
The Business Manager has excellent attention to detail, strong communication skills, and expertise in organizational systems. 2+ years experience with nonprofit or small business finance, human resources, and operations is required.
The Business Manager works in our Brattleboro, VT office along with three other part-time staff members. Partial remote work options are available.
VWS strives to create a culture that is supportive, effective, and life-affirming. Ideal candidates for this role will be energized by work environment that prioritizes:
- Proactive Leadership
- Service & Relationships
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Financial Systems Management (12 hrs/week)
Coordinate and manage the organization’s financial systems and internal controls to ensure fiscal health.
- Supervise all financial aspects of VWS programs.
- Perform organizational bookkeeping
- Support the fundraising work of the Executive Director and Board of Directors, especially by maintaining accurate and user friendly systems for tracking contributed income and communicating with donors, foundations, and prospects.
- Lead annual organizational budgeting process, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board Treasurer.
- Act as liaison with our fiscal sponsee (Sow Well Tots).
- Manage organizational purchasing.
Human Resources Management (3 hr/wk)
Manage the organization’s human resources systems to ensure VWS remains a great place to work.
- Primary human resources administrator for hiring, compensation, payroll & benefits, insurance, & record-keeping.
Office Operations (1 hr/wk)
Be a member of the team which collaboratively runs the VWS office and ensures the smooth operating of office and technological systems that support our work together.
Foundational Role & Meetings (4 hrs/wk)
Participation in holding the overall strategic direction and values of VWS’s work. Includes staff meetings, retreats, and trainings, meetings with supervisor, annual review, and strategy sessions.
- Experience and understanding of nonprofit or small business transactions, bookkeeping, budgeting, and human resource administration.
- Highly organized, with a strong attention to detail. Quick, accurate worker.
- Comfortable independently prioritizing, planning workflow, and managing simultaneous projects.
- Proficiency in bookkeeping software (we use Quickbooks Online) and spreadsheets (we use Google Sheets) is essential, and comfort with Apple/Mac platform is preferred.
- Internal resilience and self-sufficiency. Ability to improvise and adapt to the changing circumstances of a small, community-based nonprofit.
- Excellent and mature interpersonal communication skills.
- Sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity. We like to laugh and have fun at work!
- If you also have a desire to learn about and contribute to nature connection, youth mentoring, and community building initiatives, that is a bonus.
- We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons.
- We are also currently hiring a half-time Communications Coordinator.
This is a salaried employee position for 20 hours per week, year round.
- Salary: $23,000 – $25,000, depending on experience.
- 40 hrs / 2 weeks paid vacation (40 hrs).
- Paid holidays (40 hrs) & sick time (24 hrs).
- Up to $2000 stipend for use of your personal communications devices and work spaces for work tasks.
- 100% discount on any VWS program (with available spaces).
- 30% discount for immediate family members on any VWS program (some exceptions apply).
- Partial to full cost of relevant professional development opportunities, on a case-by-case basis.
Please reply to email@example.com with a resume, two references, and a concise letter describing your experience, qualifications, and reasons for applying for this position.
Interviews begin Monday, May 9, and position begins when filled.
For a more detailed description of this position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.