Woodland Words Day Camp
When: 9am-3pm, Mon-Fri:
- Week 1: Jul 12 – 17, 2021 (Currently full. Complete the form below to add yourself to the waitlist!)
- Week 2: July 19 – 23, 2021 (Currently full. Complete the form below to add yourself to the waitlist!)
Ages: 11 – 15 (other ages by permission)
Where: Marlboro, VT
Cost: $295 – 395 (sliding scale). The true cost per camper is $335. Scholarships available.
Join us for a week of writing, nature connection, and resonance with new and old friends in the great outdoors!
Woodland Words is a new program this summer! In our fully outdoor week of nature connection and awareness grounded in various forms of writing, we will also take time to explore personal themes that are important to participants. Settling into our relationships with one another and the natural world, and following the emergent flow of staff and participant interests, we will spend part of the day taking up a wide variety of fun writing prompts and activities, including nature based art. We’ll also explore the woods, fields, and streams, and engage in nature connection and awareness activities, getting to know the plants and animals of our hillside location, as well as ourselves.
Activities will be based on student interest, and can include:
- A wide variety of writing forms and inspirations/prompts including
- Journal writing
- Fiction writing
- Nature observation
- Character creation
- Writing as activism
- Nature based art
- Materials craft (quills, pens, ink, natural paper, etc.)
- Fire pit food preparation
- Wild edibles and medicines
- Age appropriate conversation around emergent issues important to the students
- New/Full moon practices
- Awareness building practices
- Movement for health and vitality
Program Director Bio
Ani’s great joy is working with youth who are moving from childhood into their teen years. She is a licensed teacher, and has been teaching and mentoring elementary and middle school youth in alternative and public schools since 2007. In addition to leading programs with Great Blue Heron, Ani is also our schools liaison at Vermont Wilderness School, offering professional development to teachers who want to deepen their students’ connection to the natural world. She is also a private writing tutor, former yoga teacher and dancer/dance teacher, and mother to one middle schooler and one high schooler.
- Fill out the registration form and be sure to click the SUBMIT button. A submitted registration will generate an automated confirmation email with the subject “[Youth’s Name]’s Woodland Words Day Camp Registration has been received.” Save that for proof-of-registration.
- Pay in full, or just the $65 deposit, to reserve your spot. If you pay a deposit, any remaining balance is due by June 1st. If you have requested a scholarship or opted in to the BIPOC Reparations Fund, payment instructions are in the registration form below. To pay:
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
- Click the tab at the bottom of this page: “Complete the VWS Medical Form.” The form is due by June 1st.
Looking for Scholarship? Complete the registration form below, indicating your scholarship request. Read our scholarship and cancellations policy page for more information. The deadline to submit scholarship requests is June 25th.
Questions about camp? Please contact us at email@example.com or call 802-257-8570.