Wildlife Tracking Apprenticeship
Enrollment: Registration for 2021-2021 session is open. This program only has 7 spots so apply soon!
Where: Various locations within 30 miles of Brattleboro, VT.
When: the following Saturdays & Sundays in 2021-2022. Program hours may vary slightly but will generally follow a 9am-4pm pattern.
- October 9 & 10, 2021
- December 18 & 19, 2021
- January 15 & 16, 2022
- February 12 & 13, 2022
- March 12 & 13, 2022
- April 9 & 10, 2022
- June 11 & 12, 2022
Who: Adults (Age 18+). Open to both novice and experienced trackers.
Cost: $1275 – 1675. Actual per-person cost is $1450.
Vermont Wilderness School’s **NEW** Wildlife Tracking Apprenticeship will provide quality instruction in wildlife tracking in a wide variety of conditions, over seven weekends spread out across three seasons.
Tracking is an invitation to slow down, look more closely, and question what we’re seeing. It’s a chance to get to know our “more than human” neighbors more deeply and intimately. It’s a journey to seeing our relationship and connection with the natural world more clearly.
Tracking can seem inaccessible, a skillset with which it’s hard to make headway. Working with a skilled tracking teacher can dramatically flatten the learning curve, bring results more quickly, and be a rewarding and fun experience. The teaching approach will be to “build it from the ground up.” The apprenticeship will include field time, presentations, and optional “homework.” Topics to be covered:
- Tools for clear track identification
- Wildlife “sign” identification
- Body mechanics, gaits, and track patterns
- Wildlife interactions with the landscape
- General naturalist knowledge related to tracking
- Tracker field conduct
Note: each participant has the option to meet with the instructor to customize your learning goals and the level of challenge you desire.
Meet the instructor –
Bob Etzweiler is a longtime teacher at the Vermont Wilderness School, leading both youth and adult programs. He runs both our annual Lynx Tracking Expedition and the Hunter’s Heart Hunting Apprenticeship. Bob has over a decade of experience in Wildlife Tracking, has been hired on wildlife track surveys, and is CyberTracker Level III certified. He’s a skilled and passionate tracker and teacher.
- Complete the registration form below and click submit. Be sure to check your email for the automated response with the subject “[Your name]’s Hunter’s Heart Application has been received” that serves to confirm that we have received your application. We will respond to your application as soon as possible, likely within 2 weeks.
- If accepted before September 1, a $150 deposit will be due within 7 days of your acceptance, to reserve your slot. The remaining balance is due September 1. After September 1, anyone applying must pay immediately upon acceptance.
- You can pay by either:
- Make a secure online payment by credit card or via PayPal in the box to the right –>
- Send a check payable to “Vermont Wilderness School” to: VWS, PO Box 2585, Brattleboro, VT 05303.
- Financial aid details can be found in the form below.
- You can pay by either:
- Upon acceptance to the program, please complete the “VWS Medical Form” via the tab at the bottom of this page.